Xtra, Xtra: Motown January 14, 2009Posted by Wheneva Whateva in I Heart Music, Xtra Xtra.
Tags: berry gordy, boyz ii men, diana ross, marvin gaye, michael jackson, motown, records, rick james, stevie wonder
Before I give you the Xtra, Xtra I wanted to share my music experience from last night. This is a true testament of the universality of music. I was in the library last night looking for the Standing In the Shadows of Motown DVD. (Sidenote: I really wanted to do a mini review for you, but they couldn’t find it on the shelf. So stay tuned!) As I was chatting with the librarian, who’s an older white man, two other patrons were also waiting at the counter and overheard the conversation. The older black woman joked with me “What you know about Motown? You’re not old enough.” I told her I wanted to see it as part of my celebration of the 50th anniversary. We ended up spending an extra 20 minutes talking about our favorite Motown songs and artists. That conversation completely erased my disappointment of not getting the DVD.
And, now back to our regularly scheduled program…Here’s a little Xtra, Xtra. Enjoy!
Berry Gordy on Tavis Smiley
Albums You Should Own (in no particular order):
- Marvin Gaye – What’s Going On
- Boyz II Men – II
- Stevie Wonder – Songs In the Key of Life
- Michael Jackson – Thriller (this isn’t a Motown release, but it’s included since Mike got his start on Motown)
- Diana Ross – Diana Ross (later reissued as Ain’t No Mountain High Enough)
- Rick James – Come Get It!
- Johnny Gill – Johnny Gill (1990)
- various artists (compilation) – Come Together: Motown Sings the Beatles
Movies You Should See:
- The Wiz
- Standing In the Shadows of Motown
- The Jacksons: An American Dream (TV miniseries)
- The Temptations (TV miniseries)
- The Last Dragon
Battle of the Groups